Are You Ready To Be Successful? Then Start Listening…

Are you listening? I’m not sure you are. You either want to be successful, or you don’t. If you are, the first step is opening your ears and listening.

Here’s the thing. Messages (any kind) resonate with you if you’re ready to hear them. If you’re not, you think the message is worthless.

Ok, what do I mean? Well, let me try to explain. If I’m in the market for a car, I probably pay more attention to the car ads on television, right? If I’m not looking for a car at the moment, I completely ignore those messages, right?

The same is true for being successful and for motivational type of content out there today. Sure, everyone says they want to be successful, but until you are really ready to do it, or you’re ready to believe you can be, you’re going to discount positive messages about it and not listen.

Take my friend JB from http://www.morningcoach.com/. JB is someone I recently met (on one of my panels at Blogworldexpo) and he provides coaching and a daily 15-minute podcast that is motivational and inspiring. It’s good stuff.

Yet, I can guarantee you that half of the people who listen to it the first time think it’s disingenuous and a waste of time. Why? Because they’re not ready for the message. They don’t want to “hear” it yet, so they discount it.

I’ve been talking a lot lately about success, and you have either been listening, or discounting it.

Which is it?

The main point I’m trying to make is… when you’re ready to be successful, you’ll start listening.

So figure it out. What is your choice? Are you going to open your ears and listen yet, or aren’t you ready yet?

Think about it.

Tags:

1. grantgriffiths
    October 16, 2008 at 10:23 am #

Jim – Listening, something we forget to do all the time. We also forget to listen to our own readers and when we do that, we fail to get involved in the conversations.

I have been enjoying the post you have been writing too. Videos are nice. But it is nice to read what someone has to say once in a while. Keep it coming!!

2. Sally
    October 16, 2008 at 12:55 pm #

Thanks Jim, this is really really cool.
    Morning Coach seems like a fantastic resource that I will use on a daily basis.

Thanks Jim you rock!

3. MLRebecca
    October 16, 2008 at 5:11 pm #

I agree with you wholeheartedly. There are so many instances in my life where I thought I'd wanted to move forward, but I had the wrong attitude. I couldn't really hear the encouragement that others were trying to give to me. Once I changed my thinking, I realized how much others' positive comments breathed life into me, and I was able to take action. Thanks for reminding me about the importance of listening!

4. Danny Cooper
    October 20, 2008 at 2:31 pm #

I'm listening Jim, ears wide open. Fire away!

5. naturalhealthezine
    October 22, 2008 at 9:26 pm #

“Listen as though you are going to be deaf tomorrow.” This has been my personal motto ever since my late grandfather went deaf. During the last years of his life, Grandpa couldn't hear any of us so we used sign language. I always take care of my ears since then. I also discovered that I love listening to what people say. Thanks for this wonderful blog. It led me down to memory lane. :)

6. Teknoloji
    November 3, 2008 at 8:02 am #

Thanks Jim, this is really really cool.

7. EasyProfitPack
    November 3, 2008 at 11:21 pm #

Yes, I think there is no doubt that listeing is something that can really help ymou out in any walk of life.

But at times, the ego just takes over and you just don't care. But then again, you should also be careful of what you listen to.

8. judith
    November 7, 2008 at 8:38 am #

I sometimes think listening is a forgotten art. How many times have I been in a situation, say in a bank trying to sort out my money, where the person I'm talking too plainly hasn't listened to a word I've said. Their response is more about what they think I said, not what I actually did say. It really is annoying.
    I worked as a civil servant for 36 years. I dealt with the public and also had a small team of staff. You need to listen, if you don't you can't do your job properly. This applies to all walks of life, all businesses in fact life in general.

1. Negativity Kills Success, Don’t Let It - October 17, 2008

[...] previously talked about listening. That’s step one in the process of learning how to be successful. But there’s so much [...]