Bigger Is Not Always Better

Ever watch the weather on your local news? Of course you have. Are you like me when you can’t understand why they do a 4-minute segment about cold-front patterns and rain accumulation, but only 10-seconds showing the 5-day forecast?

Photo courtesy of MomGoesGreen

Frustrating.

Annoying.

Baffling.

I’m going to make an assumption here and say that 95% of the people who watch the weather simply want to know what it’s going to be like tomorrow, and the few days after that. That’s it. So assuming I’m correct, why do they insist on telling me everything else and then giving me only 10-seconds to see what I only really wanted to see?

Of course, the answer is they’re filling time in the broadcast in between ads. I get it. I just don’t like it. Actually, they’d be better off doing more actual news, and just 45-seconds of weather with most of it being the 5-day forecast, right? I’d actually take more/longer ads before all that other useless information.

Are you doing this to your customers? Are you creating unneeded filler in between the stuff they want? Is your 150-page eBook full of 140 pages of fluff and posturing when all it really needed to be was 10-pages of “stuff the customer just needed to know?” I’ve seen this too many times. Someone will create tons of unnecessary content that only wastes my time, when they could have just delivered the message in a clear and concise fashion instead.

You get the idea. Stop filling just for the sake of filling. Give your customers what they want without all the extra stuff they don’t want. I think you’ll find that they’ll love you for it. No, I know they will.

1. blogangel
    June 2, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

Sadly, filler is a crucial component of how our consumerist society works. It's ingrained. Everybody wants to make less look like more. Filler in burger, silcone in boobs… you name it people will always try to make less look like more to achieve profit or attention.

It's actually quite refreshing to get the real deal. Quality, straight to the point content is not always easy to find. But I believe that ultimately, it's like the cream in the milk that will float to the top every time.

2. Peter Fuller MBA
    June 2, 2010 at 9:53 pm #

I figured it was just me who was losing patience with all of the fluff. The same concept can be applied to videos.

I watched a video the other day promising all kinds of great info, problem is they did not get to it until about 8 minutes in.

3. @adrianswinscoe
    June 3, 2010 at 9:48 am #

Hi Jim,
    Writing short pieces can be time consuming and can require bravery as people get caught up in the idea that more is good. Reminds me of a couple of great quotes:

"The secret of being a bore is to tell everything." – Voltaire
    and

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." – Blaise Pascal

You can see more here http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Brevity

Best regards,

Adrian

4. Consulting Guru
    June 7, 2010 at 6:31 pm #

TV news? What is that? I ditched the TV 3 years ago and now get all of my content via the internet. Movies I rent via Netflix and television shows I pull from various sources directly online. What does this prove? Your premise is correct people will seek out fluff free quality content. Your story reminds me of the last time I happened by a TV with FoxNews broadcasting they had the Red banner with breaking news, a flasher scrolling along the bottom, and the reporters stressed out face it really caught my attention since obviously something very important was going on… I stopped to get the story and they were talking about Sandra Bullock's divorce!

5. Matt
    June 16, 2010 at 4:36 pm #

That's ridiculous! I'd far sooner hear about cold fronts and weather patterns as to me this enables you to realise the pattern of the weather for days ahead. I could see the cold front and warm front coming in and use my own intuition to understand that for the next couple of days there is going to be rain. I'd sooner know that than knowing that burger kind have a special offer on burgers this weekend… Advertisements are the useless information turning us into a massively consumerist society, blogangel, not reliable information.

If they were trying to maximise profit, they would show more ads… Cut the ads, I mute them anyway, i'd sooner listen to weather, as for anyone with a slightly deeper interest in the world than those who just happily drudge along and consume, knowledge is power… not money!

6. prefab kits
    June 17, 2010 at 2:08 am #

I see a lot of this stuff in internet marketing these days. An ebook has 30 or 40 pages but only 5 pages make real sense or can really give you what you need. I guess they just want to create more pages to make it look more appealing and worth the money.

7. vernon
    June 21, 2010 at 7:39 pm #

Very interesting points. I never thought about that!

Explore what website video production can do for you. Check out Done in 60 seconds!